We have see many tutors and tutoring institutes struggle in marketing, especially online marketing. This is in total contrast with students, who are very active in social media. This article will give you the best social media marketing tips for tutors. These social media blogging tutor tips will help you to reach more student pool and increase revenue.
How to Advertise as Tutor in Social Media
- Content is King: I know this is a cliche. But is very true in Social Media. This is the best Social Media Marketing Tip for private tutors and tutoring institutes. This rule applies to all social media platforms, like Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, blog etc. You have to make sure that the content you are posting is engaging, interesting or informative enough for your followers ie. students to read and share.
- Choose the platform wisely: You need to pick the social media platform that works best for you. Every social media platform is different. That means it caters to different audience and has different styles of posting. Twitter has small posts. Instagram and Pinterest rely on images. Blogs rely on long articles. Facebook relies on short posts and images and videos. Youtube is solely focussed on videos.
- Visuals over text: People, especially younger generation, are more inclined to watch image content over textual content. That is the main reason for success of Instagram over Facebook. That is why, it would make sense for you to post more engaging content in forms of images, infographics, short animated videos etc. All these are very easy to create. You can use free tools like Canva for the same. If you are not comfortable with this, you can hire services of graphics company for the same.
- Post regularly: If you are using social media for professional purpose, you need to spend time regularly on social media. That means you have update your Facebook status regularly. Post in twitter and Google+ almost every day. That is how your followers will remain connected to you.
- Create a fan page in Facebook: Fan page is a great way to engage with your students and build a following. You can post marketing materials, offers and testimonials here.
- Post short videos: You should post short videos of your teaching methodology, testimonials and entertaining parts of your class. These will showcase your skills to many potential students and parents. By seeing your teaching style, they may feel more inclined to contact you.
- Answer comments: You should regularly answer the comments and queries posted on your social media platforms. Preferably answer them on same day. This will show that you are professional and accessible.
- Use hashtags: Hashtags are a great way to reach more people. Hashtag usage is very common in Twitter. You need to use same hashtags repeatedly. It will make your brand and content easier to find.
- Follow influential people in your industry: Following influential people in education sector or from your domain is the one of the proven ways to increase your following. You also need to frequently sharing their posts with insightful updates.
- Live online chats: You can conduct online live chats with your followers on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Google hangout etc. This will also help you in increasing your reach.
Engaging Students on Social Media: A Risk or Opportunity for online tutors?
Social media is big thing in online space right now. Majority of our target audience communicates, collaborates and engages with each other using social media. The buzz around social media might make online tutor feel that it is the medium to engage with students. Social media blogging by tutors will eventually be a good for their business.
Many tutors face dilemma over the usage of social media. While evaluating its usage, tutors do get into a confusion of choosing between tangible and intangible outcomes. Same questions again arise while deciding marketing strategies and sales planning works.
Given the pressure to use social media as a marketing tool to generate revenue, most of the tutors underutilise social media. At the same time, they underestimate its usefulness.
Broadly speaking following are the concerns revolving around usage of social media
- Technological Challenges: Some tutors feel that encroachment of social media in every aspects of life has potentially damaging implications.
- Confidentiality: Social media is build on assumption that you want to share information. This is a serious concern for many tutors to share internal information and relevant data in public domain.
- Loss of control: Social media practically allows anyone to say anything to anyone in public domain. This might lead to a situation, where the tutors are unable to lead the discussion in the direction they want to.
- Information Overload and Tracking: Social media has drastically increased its horizon in last few years. Thus capturing so much information, that many times genuine and relevant information gets lesser attention than required.
These criticism are valid in some cases. All the major social media channels provide a wide range of tools for different usages. Many tutors have used social media very effectively for brand building, student engagement and community building. Tutors basically need to understand which social media tools to use and how to use.
Having said this, there are more critics of social media’s use in academic world than its advocates. Here tutors need to adjust their approach keeping in mind the critics. If you need to rephrase, re-energise and reassure your potential students through social media then do it. Effective social media usage requires production, usage and consumption of relevant knowledge. If you use it correctly, social media can provide variety of channels to facilitate the engagement and collaboration with your students.
Contrary to popular perception, social media is not just a medium to share information to everyone out there, it also provides users tools, filters and conversation enablers. Using these, tutors can engage in informal communication with their students.
To conclude, all social media platforms provide an additional channel to connect with your target audience. Unlike classrooms, here you can talk with them in more informal fashion. This has potential, not it is totally up to you, how to use it.
We hope that you learnt from our article on Social Media Marketing Tips for Tutors. These tips will help you in reaching more students and increasing your revenue. Do let us know your feedback and comments on Social Media Marketing Tips for Tutors, how to advertise your tutoring skills and social media blogging tutor.
myTutoring is proud to say that it has the most socially connected platform.